NRC Header Image Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation
CERCLA and EPCRA Reporting Requirements for Air Releases
of Hazardous Substances from Animal Waste at Farms

Attention:  Farms with continuous air releases that meet or exceed the reportable quantity must submit their initial continuous release notification to the National Response Center (NRC) starting on January 22, 2018.

Due to the potential for a significant increase in call volume, the NRC is establishing an email reporting option for all initial continuous air release notifications involving farms.

Farm owners/operators shall submit an initial continuous air release report via email. The NRC will not accept telephone notifications at this time. This expedited option will allow one email notification for owners/operators with multiple farms.

If you have questions about the continuous release reporting requirements for farms please visit EPA’s website at:

Additionally if you have specific questions about these reporting requirements please contact the EPA at 1-800-424-9346 and select menu option 5.

How to make an email report to the NRC: :

Send an email to:

Within the email please include:

     • Name of the farm

     • Location of the farm (e.g., name of city/town and state)

     • Name(s) of the hazardous substance(s) released (typically ammonia or hydrogen sulfide for farms)

If you want to report multiple farms please submit ONE email citing all the farm names, farm locations, and material(s) released for each farm. This will meet legal and regulatory requirements for reporting.

Once an email has been received, the NRC will email you the CR-ERNS number required for your initial written notification to the EPA Regional Office.

Unauthorized attempts to upload or change information on this web site is strictly prohibited
and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986
and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
Separator Line